Two killed when tree falls onto car during storm in Gaston Co. | News
GASTONIA, N.C. (WBTV) – Two people are dead after emergency crews in Gaston County say a tree fell onto a car, trapping them inside the vehicle.
According to firefighters, the accident happened around 7:00 Friday night on Stagecoach Road, which is in southern Gaston County.
"You could see where it fell on it on the front and the hood was up..all you could see was blue and the tree going through it," Neighbor Corum Harris said.
Troopers from the North Carolina Highway Patrol identified the victims as Reginald and Arlene Parham of Clover, South Carolina.
Their daughter Tiffany, 22, also of Clover, is the lone survivor of the accident. She is being treated for serious injuries at Gaston Memorial hospital.
"Never thought anything like this would happen in a million years," Neighbor Eldred Robinson said.
Chris Stowe, the Crowders Mountain Fire & Rescue Public Information Officer, said they believe the accident was an act of nature, and that the tree might have been damaged by winds and heavy rain that swept through the area.
Copyright 2012 WBTV. All rights reserved.
Upcoming Events near Gaston County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Lincoln Co. Lieutenant named “Employee of the Year”
- Investigators find 22nd meth lab of year in Lincoln Co.
- Man shot by deputies during standoff released from hospital, taken to jail
- Charges dropped against Lincoln Co. dad in kids' deaths
- Report: Woman stole $4,000 coin collection from man "helping her out"