Two killed when tree falls onto car during storm in Gaston Co. | News
GASTONIA, N.C. (WBTV) – Two people are dead after emergency crews in Gaston County say a tree fell onto a car, trapping them inside the vehicle.
According to firefighters, the accident happened around 7:00 Friday night on Stagecoach Road, which is in southern Gaston County.
"You could see where it fell on it on the front and the hood was up..all you could see was blue and the tree going through it," Neighbor Corum Harris said.
Troopers from the North Carolina Highway Patrol identified the victims as Reginald and Arlene Parham of Clover, South Carolina.
Their daughter Tiffany, 22, also of Clover, is the lone survivor of the accident. She is being treated for serious injuries at Gaston Memorial hospital.
"Never thought anything like this would happen in a million years," Neighbor Eldred Robinson said.
Chris Stowe, the Crowders Mountain Fire & Rescue Public Information Officer, said they believe the accident was an act of nature, and that the tree might have been damaged by winds and heavy rain that swept through the area.
Copyright 2012 WBTV. All rights reserved.
Top Gaston County Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Deputies: Man reported stolen motorcycle, hid it in storage
- NASCAR to honor Dick Trickle after suicide in cemetery
- South Fork Volunteer Fire Department receives $60,000 NC State grant
- Drug busts net meth lab, alcohol still, deputies say
- Deputies: Mom charged after lying about kidnapping, sparking false Amber Alert